Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Come and Dine Banner

One of my projects that I have been working on lately is a quilted wallhanging banner for over the serving window in our church's kitchen.

It is going to be 12x72 inches.  The background is various yellows and light tan 1 inch square pieces.  So I constructed the background by piecing 6 blocks that were 12 inches squares.  So for each block there are 144 separate pieces.  The background will look like a very old mosaic with the many small pieces.

Then on the left end there will be a cluster of purple grapes hanging from the grapevine with a couple of grape leaves and tendrils curling around.  This is the mock-up drawing of the grape cluster.  This will be in the furthest left block.


In the middle four blocks will be the words "Come and Dine" centered.




Finally, in the last block, the one to the furthest right will be a loaf of bread and an earthen jug of olive oil.  This is the mock-up of the bread and oil.  I wanted the bread to look handmade and in a basic oval shape rather than the modern bread shape formed from using a loaf pan.


These are both Zig and Copic markers and and good ole Crayola colored pencil drawings.  Although I cut the background paper to the size that I wanted them to fit; so I could draw them the right size.

Here is the drawings shown in the positions that they will be.

Sorry if it is hard to see.

Next time I will show you how I use these drawings to mock-up and try fabrics.

Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites

Add to Technorati Favorites

Swidget 1.0